It. took. ages.
Because not only was I doing each little thing, I was teaching myself how to do each thing (google search is my savior!) before I attempted it. So after my yummy breakfast, I had an apple all day long. And most of my site was set up, a frazzled young woman (still in morning sweats, might I add) set downstairs to find something to eat. But all I wanted was cookies. Even though I could feel my body getting a wee bit ill and my glands getting swollen, I just wanted cookies. So I whipped these up, all the while regaining confidence doing something I know I can do, something that will inevitably turn out wonderfully.
As I was taking them off the cookie sheet, I could hear the faint voice of my dear health conscious father, “Sugar weakens your immune system . . . ” I ignored the small voice and proceeded to pour myself a glass of milk.
So my dears, make these for yourself, for someone who needs to verbally process their insides, or just because they’re stink good.
Browned Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
200g unsalted brown butter
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 egg yolk
2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
1 2/3 cups dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat over to 375 degrees/Gas mark 5.
2. Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine sugars. Pour hot brown butter over sugars; mix together until the sugars are dissolves (about 3-5 minutes).
4. When butter mixture is desired consistency, add egg and beat for 30 seconds. Stir in vanilla.
5. Add dry ingredients, and mix until just incorporated. Stir in chocolate.
6. Form dough into 1-inch balls, and place on a cookie sheet lined with baking parchment about 2″ apart. Bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until slightly puffy, dry on top and tinged with golden.
7. Let stand on baking sheet about 1-3 minutes, then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.